After 124 years the South Channel Pile Light, on Port Phillip Bay is to be given a new lease of life. The light has been lighted off it’s piles and taken by barge to Melbourne where it will be restored. Once restored it is to be re-established at at the mouth of the Rye Channel. It is the last intact pile lighthouse in Australia.
The light was manned from 1874 to 1925 when the light was converted to acetylene gas.