Cape Baily Lighthouse
The light was required so north-bound shipping could hug the coast and avoid the strong southerly currents further out to sea.
First considered in 1931 the light was eventually established in 1950. It was never manned.
The light stands just south of the entrance to Botany Bay.
© All images are copyright of their respective photographers and are not to be used without permission.
|Location||Lat. 34°02.2' S Long. 151°13.3' E
|Optic||Chance Bros 375mm fixed
|Construction||Square concrete tower|
|Character||Grp Fl (3) 9 secs|
|Light Source||12 volt 35 watt halogen
|Notes||Solar conversion 3/2/87
NB: Information is historical data and is not for navigational purposes.
Access the lighthouse via the Cape Baily Coast Walk. It is a little over 5 km from Cape Solander in Botany Bay National Park.
The tower is not open.
- Ian Clifford
- Winsome Bonham
- Roxford Bree