Carpentaria LV CLS4
Australia had several lightships (or Lightvessels) as navigational aids where lighthouses could not be built. Many were older ships that could be towed into position and anchored. Early lightships were manned but CLS4 was built as an unmanned vessel.
When the Commonwealth Lighthouse Service took over responsibility for lighthouses in 1915 they set about building four purpose built lightships in 1916 and 1917. CLS4 spent most of its working life marking the Merkara Shoals in the Gulf of Carpentaria, hence the name along its side.
It was also periodically moved to Sandy Cape in Queensland. CLS4 was towed to Bass Strait in 1983 to serve as a traffic separator for ships working in the oilfields. It was retired in 1985.
© All images are copyright of their respective photographers and are not to be used without permission.
The CLS lightships were not manned.
|Built||Cockatoo Island Dockyard Sydney|
|Length||21.94 m overall
21.51 m waterline
|Power Source||Acetylene Gas|
|Range||10 NM (18.5 km)|
NB: Information is historical data and is not for navigational purposes.