Tacking Point Lighthouse
In 1879 a fixed catadioptric light of less than 1000 candelas was erected on Tacking Point.
In the early to mid 19th Century the main contact for the coastal towns of the north coast of New South Wales was sea transport. There were no roads and the railways were only just beginning.
There were few lights and in the Tacking Point area more than 20 wrecks occurred, the first being the schooner Black Joe in 1823, and the steamer Sumatra in the same year.
In 1879 a fixed catadioptric light of less than 1000 candelas was erected on Tacking Point. The structure is built of cement-rendered bricks and because of the elevation only needed to be 8 metres high.
The apparatus was converted from wick oil light in 1919 to automatic acetylene operation. The light was then converted to mains electricity in 1974. As a result of automation the keepers were withdrawn after 40 years of service.
The foundations of the keeper’s cottage can still be seen.
continued below …
© All images are copyright of their respective photographers and are not to be used without permission.
|Lighthouse Rd, Arakoon NSW 2431, Australia|
|Lighthouse Rd, Port Macquarie NSW 2444, Australia|
|1 Elizabeth St, Crowdy Head NSW 2427, Australia|
continued from above …
We need your help in compiling a list of keepers for this lighthouse. If you have any information then send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include this lighthouse’s name, the keepers full name and what years they were keepers. Also include the same information for any other lights they were on.
|Location||Lat. 31° 28.7 S. Longitude 152° 56.2 E.|
|Original Optic||Fixed catadioptric|
|Character||Grp. Fl. (4) W 20 secs|
|Light Source||12 Volt 75 Watt Quartz Halogen Lamp, FA 251 Beacon|
|Power Source||Mains Electricity, battery backup|
|Operator||NSW Roads and Maritime Services|
NB: Information is historical data and is not for navigational purposes.
The lighthouse reserve is open all year. Access via Lighthouse Road just south of Port Macquarie. The tower is closed to the public.
The Mid North Coast Maritime Museum has some lighthouse artifacts.
6 William Street, Port Macquarie NSW
Clarence River Lighthouse (old tower demolished)
- Annette Flotwell for Photograph
- Brian Lord for Photographs
- Cyril Curtain for Photographs
- Ian Clifford for Photographs
- Winsome Bonham for Photograph
- Averil Legg
- Dept of Transport
- From Dusk Till Dawn by Gordon Reid
- Mary Shelley Clark and Jack Clark
- Sydney AFLOAT
- W. Lippingwell, Coastal Lighthouses of NSW, 1938