Flagstaff Point (Wollongong Head) Lighthouse
Wollongong Harbour is the only point on the eastern coast of Australia which has two lighthouses.
Located on Flagstaff Point the newer lighthouse on Wollongong Head assists the passage of vessels into Port Kembla.
Completed in 1936, by the Commonwealth Lighthouse Service, it was the first new lighthouse in New South Wales since 1903. The tower is constructed of reinforced concrete including the lantern which was constructed to house the 1863 first order Chance Brothers fixed lens recovered from Gabo Island following its conversion to a rotating optic as part of Gabo’s conversion to electric operation in 1935.
The structure cost £6,800 ($13,600) with plant and equipment £2,607 ($5,214).
It was the first fully automatic lighthouse to be constructed as an unattended automatic lighthouse in New South Wales.
The original light apparatus was a Chance Brothers electric flasher which was not available in time for commissioning of the light so a temporary acetylene gas light was employed until the Chance Bros equipment arrived in October 1938. The acetylene apparatus was retained as the standby light in case of electricity mains failure until a diesel generator was installed in the 1960’s.
continued below …
© All images are copyright of their respective photographers and are not to be used without permission.
|Cape Baily Track, Kurnell NSW 2231, Australia||Cape Baily|
Flagstaff Point (Wollongong Head)
|lot 2500, LOT 2 Endeavour Dr, Wollongong NSW 2500, Australia||Flagstaff Point (Wollongong Head)|
|2 Endeavour Dr, Wollongong NSW 2500, Australia||Wollongong Harbour|
|Blowhole Point Road, Kiama NSW 2533, Australia||Kiama|
continued from above …
The light is an occulting light, white with two red sectors, light 4.5 seconds, dark 1.5 seconds. The red sectors indicate navigation hazards to vessels.
It was built to serve as a coastal light and particularly for ships entering Port Kembla to the south of Flagstaff Point. Up until the construction of Flagstaff Point the only aid had been the old Wollongong Breakwater Lighthouse situated at Belmore Basin to the north west. The Breakwater light was discontinued in May 1974 as Port Kembla had replaced Wollongong Harbour as the commercial port for the Illawarra area.
This light was never manned. When necessary it was attended to by the Wollongong Harbour Master.
|First Exhibited||23rd July 1936|
|Location||Lat. 34 25.3172' S Long. 150 54.5829' E|
|Original Optic||Chance Bros fixed 920mm
Relocated from Gabo Island, still in use
|Automated||Designed as automatic|
|Character||Occulting 6s, Flash 4.5s, Eclipse 1.5s|
|Intensity||White 61,000 cd, Red: 12,800 cd|
|Light Source||Sealite SL324 LED array|
|Power Source||Mains Power with battery back up|
|Operator||Australian Maritime Safety Authority|
|Custodian||Australian Maritime Safety Authority|
|Notes||Light has two red sectors to indicate offshore hazards:
True Bearings: Red: 188 - 213 (025)
White: 213 - 312 (099)
From Seaward Red: 312 - 358 (046)
White: 358 - 008 (010)
The lighthouse grounds are open at all times. There is no access to the tower.
- Annette Flotwell for Photograph
- Ian Clifford for Photographs and information
- Rod Cairns for Photograph
- Winsome Bonham for Photograph
- Brian Lord
- White Towers – The Illawarra Lighthouses, A P Fleming, Illawarra Historical Society