Bay Rock Lighthouse

The former Bay Rock Lighthouse of Magnetic Island.

History

Bay Rock was owned by the government and used solely for lighthouse purposes.

The lighthouse, completed in 1866, was one of the first 4 or 5 to be built in Queensland. It has historical significance as it was initially used extensively by vessels making for the quarantine station anchorage on West Point, Magnetic Island.

The lighthouse was standard white sound timber-framed, zinc anneal-cladded tower with standard equipment.

A lantern and beam projection apparatus was used with an open flame acetylene gas burner.

The original light stood 29 metres above ground.

The last keeper left in 1920 and the light was automated in 1930.

The last occupants were John Albert Edward Lawson and his family. He started his service on Gatcom Head near Gladstone. He was tragically lost at sea while returning to Bay Rock. His descendants still live in Townsville.

continued below …

© All images are copyright of their respective photographers and are not to be used without permission.

Fitzroy Island

Fitzroy Island

Fitzroy Island
207 Back Beach Rd, Yarrabah QLD 4871, Australia

Fitzroy Island

Direction

Bay Rock

Bay Rock

Bay Rock
Bay Rock, Queensland 4805, Australia

Bay Rock

Direction

Cape Cleveland

Cape Cleveland

Cape Cleveland
1526 Cape Cleveland Rd, Cape Cleveland QLD 4810, Australia

Cape Cleveland

Direction

Cape Bowling Green

Cape Bowling Green

Cape Bowling Green
Unnamed Road, Alva QLD 4807, Australia

Cape Bowling Green

Direction

continued from above …

More history.

Keepers

We need your help in compiling a list of keepers for this lighthouse. If you have any information then send it to keeper@lighthouses.org.au.

Please include this lighthouse’s name, the keepers full name and what years they were keepers. Also include the same information for any other lights they were on.

Technical Details

First Exhibited
Permanent Tower
CurrentTower
Architect
Status
Location
Original Optic
Current Optic
Automated
Demanned
Construction
Height
Elevation
Range
Character
Intensity
Light Source
Power Source
Operator
Custodian
Notes

  NB: Information is historical data and is not for navigational purposes.

Access

The tower is open to the public at the Maritime Museum of Townsville  External link

Associated Lighthouses

Detail to come.

Sources

  • Bay Rock Lighthouse at Townsville Maritime Museum – Mark McIntosh  External link
  • Bay Rock at Townsville Maritime Museum – Sharon Fielden
  • Bay Rock Light 1917 – NAA  External link
  • Sharon Fielden for History
  • Vivienne Moran, Townsville Maritime Museum for technical information