Wardang Island Lighthouse
In 1909 a lighthouse was built on the island to serve the large number of ships visiting nearby Port Victoria, though its effectiveness was limited by low visibility. Several shipwrecks have occurred in the vicinity of the island.
On 23 July 1918 the lighthouse tower from Wedge Island was moved to Wardang island replacing the small light on a post. This light was a Chance Bros 250mm lens.
Solar conversion was completed in 1988 and sadly the old tower was removed. It was replaced by a fibreglass hut.
In November 1937, the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research began to use Wardang to conduct its first field trials of myxomatosis, establishing the methodology for the first successful release of the myxoma virus throughout the country in the early 1950s. Rabbits are said to have been introduced to the island by fisherman.
© All images are copyright of their respective photographers and are not to be used without permission.
This light was never manned.
You must obtain permission from the Point Pearce Community Council.
No tours are available.
|First Exhibited||1909 - Light on a post|
|Permanent Tower||23 July 1918 from Wedge Island|
|CurrentTower||1988 White fibreglass hut|
|Location||Lat: 34° 30' S Long: 137° 20.7' E|
|Original Optic||1909 8" AGA acetylene single flashing 170 cp
1918 Chance Bros lantern and 250mm optic. AGA KKK130 flasher and sunvalve
|Automated||Built as an unattended light|
|Construction||1918 Steel skeleton tower originally painted red.
Current White fibreglass hut
|Range||1918 17 NM
Currently 10 NM
|Character||1918 currently Fl. (3) W.R. every 9 secs
currently Fl. (3) W.R. every 15 secs
NB: Information is historical data and is not for navigational purposes.