Bonnet Island Lighthouse
The Entrance Island and Bonnet Island Lighthouses stand at the entrance to Macquarie Harbour, a huge inland sea of about 260 square kilometres. Bonnet Island has an area of 2.2 ha.
The narrow 120 metre entrance to the huge Macquarie Harbour was discovered in 1815.
Within a year, timber cutters moved in and navigating the narrow entrance and its sandbar was an ever present hazard to vessels entering and exiting the harbour.
A signal station was erected near Cape Sorell in 1822 to indicate conditions to vessels entering the harbour. It was manned by convicts from the newly established penal settlement at Sarah Island.
The conditions were so bad at the new Sarah Island that the convicts named the entrance to the harbour Hells Gate. Other records indicate the name was used due to the enormous rush of the tides through the entrance to the harbour which can create very dangerous conditions.
In the 1890’s the discovery of silver and lead at Zeehan greatly increased the traffic entering the harbour works were taken to improve the entrance.
in 1891, a light was exhibited from two white eight sided (octagonal) wooden towers, one on the western side of Entrance Island, and the other on Bonnet Island. Also a breakwater was constructed at Hells Gate to check the sandbar and in 1899 a light was constructed a Cape Sorell.
A three roomed cottage was constructed on Bonnet island where a single keeper lived. On the opposite shore the Head lived and assisted when needed by rowing his boat across.
© All images are copyright of their respective photographers and are not to be used without permission.
|Blinking Billy Point Reserve, 652 Sandy Bay Rd, Sandy Bay TAS 7005, Australia||Blinking Billy|
John Garrow Shoal
|Blinking Billy Point Reserve, 652 Sandy Bay Rd, Sandy Bay TAS 7005, Australia||John Garrow Shoal|
Derwent Lighthouse Iron Pot
|Iron Pot, Tasmania, Australia||Derwent Lighthouse Iron Pot|
|Tasman Island, Tasmania, Australia||Tasman Island|
|Cape Bruny Lighthouse Tours, Lighthouse Rd, South Bruny TAS 7150, Australia||Cape Bruny|
|Unnamed Road, Tasmania, Australia||Maatsuyker Island|
|Unnamed Road, Macquarie Heads TAS 7468, Australia||Cape Sorell|
|Unnamed Road, Macquarie Heads TAS 7468, Australia||Entrance Island|
|Macquarie Harbour,, TAS, Australia||Bonnet Island|
Bluff Hill Point
|Bluff Hill Rd, Marrawah TAS 7330, Australia||Bluff Hill Point|
|Unnamed Road, Marrawah TAS 7330, Australia||West Point|
|Unnamed Road, West Coast TAS 7321, Australia||Sandy Cape|
|Unnamed Road, Surprise Bay TAS 7256, Australia||Stokes Point|
|LOT 1 Lighthouse St, Currie TAS 7256, Australia||Currie Harbour|
|687 Cape Wickham Rd, Wickham TAS 7256, Australia||Cape Wickham|
|Councillor Island, Tasmania, Australia||Councillor Island|
|Unnamed Road, Stanley TAS 7331, Australia||Highfield Point|
Highfield Point Old
|Marine Park, 14 Wharf Rd, Stanley TAS 7331, Australia||Highfield Point Old|
|Rocky Cape Rd, Rocky Cape TAS 7321, Australia||Rocky Cape|
|Lighthouse Rd, Table Cape TAS 7325, Australia||Table Cape|
Round Hill Point
|Chasm Creek Lighthouse, 1A Bass Hwy, Chasm Creek TAS 7321, Australia||Round Hill Point|
|39 Bluff Access Rd, Devonport TAS 7310, Australia||Mersey Bluff|
Devonport Leading Lights
|6 Victoria Parade, Devonport TAS 7310, Australia||Devonport Leading Lights|
Devonport Leading Lights
|26 Best St, Devonport TAS 7310, Australia||Devonport Leading Lights|
|496 Low Head Rd, Low Head TAS 7253, Australia||Low Head|
Middle Channel (Tamar Rear Leading Light)
|180 Low Head Rd, Low Head TAS 7253, Australia||Middle Channel (Tamar Rear Leading Light)|
Sheoak Point (Tamar Front Leading Light)
|199 Low Head Rd, Low Head TAS 7253, Australia||Sheoak Point (Tamar Front Leading Light)|
|Unnamed Road, Tasmania, Australia||Swan Island|
|Flinders, TAS, Australia||Goose Island|
|Eddystone Light Station, 2986 Eddystone Point Rd, Eddystone TAS 7264, Australia||Eddystone Point|
|Unnamed Road, Tasmania 7255, Australia||Deal Island|
|Cape Tourville Rd, Coles Bay TAS 7215, Australia||Cape Tourville|
Cape Forestier (Lemon Rock)
|Freycinet National Park, Coles Bay Rd, Coles Bay TAS 7215, Australia||Cape Forestier (Lemon Rock)|
|Unnamed Road, Triabunna TAS 7190, Australia||Point Home|
continued from above…
The Strahan Marine Board purchased a dredge in 1909 and continued to improve the entrance so that many large vessels could enter.
The Entrance Light was powered by gas until 1977, when solar panels and batteries took over.
An officer of the Strahan Marine Board was stationed at Strahan until 19 May 1970, when the Hobart Marine Board took over.
The weatherboard cladding was renewed in 1989.
We need your help in compiling a list of keepers for this lighthouse. If you have any information then send it to email@example.com.
Please include this lighthouse’s name, the keepers full name and what years they were keepers. Also include the same information for any other lights they were on.
|Original Optic||Chance Bros 4th order|
The lighthouses can be reached by boat from the port of Strahan. There are regular tours of Macquarie Harbour that include the lights.
Tours of the island are available. The lighthouse tower is not open.
No lighthouse accommodation is available