Table Cape Lighthouse
The Table Cape Lighthouse is set on a sheer cliff edge surrounded by scenic farmlands.
Its beginning was marked with the tragic death of the headkeeper’s 14 month old son.
Table Cape area first settled and developed by the Van Dieman’s Land Company in the 1820’s.
A marine board was established for the nearby Port of Wynyard in 1868. The port had grown during the 1850′ to cope with the burgeoning timber trade.
Mr C.B.M. Fenton, a former mariner, kept a light burning in the front window of his house to guide mariners during the night.
The board established two iron beacons at the mouth of the Inglis River in 1870. These were constructed by Mr William Peart, who later became Harbour Master.
After several shipping incidents in the area, Table Cape was examined by Mr J.C. Climie, a railway engineer, for its suitability for a lighthouse.
Table Cape is a spectacular flat topped promontory with a sheer drop to the sea.
Construction began and the tower and cottages were completed and in service in 1888. The tower was constructed of brick then, painted white. It has a circular steel stairway and a steel fly-over gangway to the door which is set above the below ground level base. The keeper’s cottages were built of stone.
The design was by Huckson and Hutchinson of Hobart and built by a local builder, Mr. John Luck. The bricks came from Victoria as ballast.
Materials were brought to the site, from Wynyard 7 kilometres to the south, by bullock wagon.
continued below …
© All images are copyright of their respective photographers and are not to be used without permission.
|Blinking Billy Point Reserve, 652 Sandy Bay Rd, Sandy Bay TAS 7005, Australia||Blinking Billy|
John Garrow Shoal
|Blinking Billy Point Reserve, 652 Sandy Bay Rd, Sandy Bay TAS 7005, Australia||John Garrow Shoal|
Derwent Lighthouse Iron Pot
|Iron Pot, Tasmania, Australia||Derwent Lighthouse Iron Pot|
|Tasman Island, Tasmania, Australia||Tasman Island|
|Cape Bruny Lighthouse Tours, Lighthouse Rd, South Bruny TAS 7150, Australia||Cape Bruny|
|Unnamed Road, Tasmania, Australia||Maatsuyker Island|
|Unnamed Road, Macquarie Heads TAS 7468, Australia||Cape Sorell|
|Unnamed Road, Macquarie Heads TAS 7468, Australia||Entrance Island|
|Macquarie Harbour,, TAS, Australia||Bonnet Island|
Bluff Hill Point
|Bluff Hill Rd, Marrawah TAS 7330, Australia||Bluff Hill Point|
|Unnamed Road, Marrawah TAS 7330, Australia||West Point|
|Unnamed Road, West Coast TAS 7321, Australia||Sandy Cape|
|Unnamed Road, Surprise Bay TAS 7256, Australia||Stokes Point|
|LOT 1 Lighthouse St, Currie TAS 7256, Australia||Currie Harbour|
|687 Cape Wickham Rd, Wickham TAS 7256, Australia||Cape Wickham|
|Councillor Island, Tasmania, Australia||Councillor Island|
|Unnamed Road, Stanley TAS 7331, Australia||Highfield Point|
Highfield Point Old
|Marine Park, 14 Wharf Rd, Stanley TAS 7331, Australia||Highfield Point Old|
|Rocky Cape Rd, Rocky Cape TAS 7321, Australia||Rocky Cape|
|Lighthouse Rd, Table Cape TAS 7325, Australia||Table Cape|
Round Hill Point
|Chasm Creek Lighthouse, 1A Bass Hwy, Chasm Creek TAS 7321, Australia||Round Hill Point|
|39 Bluff Access Rd, Devonport TAS 7310, Australia||Mersey Bluff|
Devonport Leading Lights
|6 Victoria Parade, Devonport TAS 7310, Australia||Devonport Leading Lights|
Devonport Leading Lights
|26 Best St, Devonport TAS 7310, Australia||Devonport Leading Lights|
|496 Low Head Rd, Low Head TAS 7253, Australia||Low Head|
Middle Channel (Tamar Rear Leading Light)
|180 Low Head Rd, Low Head TAS 7253, Australia||Middle Channel (Tamar Rear Leading Light)|
Sheoak Point (Tamar Front Leading Light)
|199 Low Head Rd, Low Head TAS 7253, Australia||Sheoak Point (Tamar Front Leading Light)|
|Unnamed Road, Tasmania, Australia||Swan Island|
|Flinders, TAS, Australia||Goose Island|
|Eddystone Light Station, 2986 Eddystone Point Rd, Eddystone TAS 7264, Australia||Eddystone Point|
|Unnamed Road, Tasmania 7255, Australia||Deal Island|
|Cape Tourville Rd, Coles Bay TAS 7215, Australia||Cape Tourville|
Cape Forestier (Lemon Rock)
|Freycinet National Park, Coles Bay Rd, Coles Bay TAS 7215, Australia||Cape Forestier (Lemon Rock)|
|Unnamed Road, Triabunna TAS 7190, Australia||Point Home|
Less than three weeks after the opening of the light the headkeeper’s son, Bertie died at the age of 14 months.
The cause is not known, but it is the cause of a sad entry in the lighthouse log book.
“Wind south. A strong breeze and misty weather. Employed in the lighthouse and cleaning up about station. At 5.10 p.m.
Bertie Jackson, son of the head lightkeeper, departed this life aged one year and two months.”
The undertaker struggled up from Wynyard on horse back with the small casket and after consultation with the clergy recommended that Bertie be buried near the lighthouse were his family could tend to his grave.
He was placed in a grave marked by a fuchsia bush. The bush has long since disappeared, but locals who knew the place have recently constructed a memorial.
The light was originally powered by an oil burner and had to be manually tendered.
Bertram Jackson (the younger), son of first keeper Robert Jackson remembers those days:
“The lamp had to be lit every day, as soon as the sun dipped into the sea, and it had to be kept alight all the time until the sun rose again.
There were always three of them as I remember it, and they each took a turn to watch the light.
They used a special oil called mineral colza, which used to be carted up in big drums by bullock wagon.
It was a very clear, white light, and better than kerosene because it caused less soot.”
He went on to state that by day, the keepers used to pull heavy curtains round the light house windows, to protect the reflecting lenses from damage by the sun.
The light was converted to vapourised kerosene in around 1913. At this time the manning was reduced from three to two keepers.
Converted to automatic acetylene operation in 1920, the lightkeepers were withdrawn in 1923.
The cottages were demolished in 1926 due to rapid deterioration.
In 1979 major works were undertaken. The lantern room was rebuilt and mains electricity was connected with an electric lamp and standby battery bank being installed.
We need your help in compiling a list of keepers for this lighthouse. If you have any information then send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include this lighthouse’s name, the keepers full name and what years they were keepers. Also include the same information for any other lights they were on.
|Location||Lat: 40° 56.7957' S Long: 145° 43.7439' E|
|Current Optic||Chance Bros. 700mm focal radius Catadioptric drum with catadioptric centred reinforcing mirrors.|
|Construction||White round masonry tower with Chance Bros. 2nd Order lantern|
|Range||Nominal: White: 16 nm Red: 13 nm
Geographical: 32 nm
|Character||Fl. WR (2) in 10 secs|
|Intensity||White: 26,500 cd Red: 5557 cd|
|Light Source||12V 100W C8 Halogen LP PR30s|
|Notes||Mains Conversion 1979
As at April 2015
The lighthouse reserve is open to the public. There is a good viewing area about a kilometre to the east.
From Wynyard follow the signs north towards the Cape along windy narrow sealed country lanes. The distance is 7 kilometres.
No lighthouse accommodation is available