Griffiths Island (Port Fairy) Lighthouse

Since 1859, the Griffiths Island Lighthouse it has faithfully guided ship into the security of historic Port Fairy located on the Moyne River.

It is located at the end of very scenic 400 metres walk across the island.

History

The Griffiths Island Lighthouse was built in 1859 by Scottish stonemasons out of bluestone. The unique stairway is cut with each step being inserted in the next course of stone in the outside wall.

Originally located on an area known as Rabbit Island, the island has since been encompassed by the neighbouring Griffiths Island.

Originally a whaling port, historic Port Fairy was a major point of entry for immigrants and trading in Victoria last century.

Up to the 1980s it was considered have one of Australia’s largest fishing fleets.

The last lighthouse keeper that lived on the island was there from 1929 till 1954. There was one more lightkeeper for a short time before the light was automated.

© All images are copyright of their respective photographers and are not to be used without permission.

Cape Nelson

Cape Nelson

Cape Nelson
Cape Nelson Rd, Portland West VIC 3305, Australia

Cape Nelson

Direction

Whalers Bluff

Whalers Bluff

Whalers Bluff
2 Lighthouse Ave, Portland VIC 3305, Australia

Whalers Bluff

Direction

Griffiths Island (Port Fairy)

Griffiths Island (Port Fairy)

Griffiths Island (Port Fairy)
Unnamed Road, Port Fairy VIC 3284, Australia

Griffiths Island (Port Fairy)

Direction

Lady Bay High

Lady Bay High

Lady Bay High
89 Merri St, Warrnambool VIC 3280, Australia

Lady Bay High

Direction

Lady Bay Low

Lady Bay Low

Lady Bay Low
80 Pertobe Rd, Warrnambool VIC 3280, Australia

Lady Bay Low

Direction

Keepers

We need your help in compiling a list of keepers for this lighthouse. If you have any information then send it to keeper@lighthouses.org.au.

Please include this lighthouse’s name, the keepers full name and what years they were keepers. Also include the same information for any other lights they were on.

Technical Details

First Exhibited
Permanent Tower
CurrentTower
Architect
Status
Location
Original Optic
Current Optic
Automated
Demanned
Construction
Height
Elevation
Range
Character
Intensity
Light Source
Power Source
Operator
Custodian
Notes

  NB: Information is historical data and is not for navigational purposes.

Access

The lighthouse grounds are open all year round. The tower is not open to the public. The island and lighthouse reserve is accessible to the public. It is a 400 metre walk across to the southern tip of the island.

Tours

Tours are available on special occasions, but infrequently.

Accommodation

No lighthouse accommodation is available