Lady Bay High Lighthouse

The Lady Bay Upper Lighthouse at Flagstaff Hill, Warrnambool was moved stone by stone from Middle Island to its current location on top of Flagstaff Hill. The alignment of its light and the Lady Bay Lower Light guide ships into Lady Bay.

History

Originally built in 1859 as the Middle Island Lighthouse. It had a fixed white light run on oil.

During 1871-72, the lighthouse was relocated stone by stone to replace the obelisk on top of Flagstaff hill and become the Upper Lighthouse. The Beach Lighthouse light was moved to the top of Lower Obelisk at the same time to form the Lady Bay Lower Lighthouse.

The light was originally powered by oil, then gas and later electricity.

In 1988, the lighthouse was converted to solar power. In 1993, the solar panel was removed and replaced by a 240 volt battery charger. The Upper Lighthouse is still in use.

© All images are copyright of their respective photographers and are not to be used without permission.

Griffiths Island (Port Fairy)

Griffiths Island (Port Fairy)

Griffiths Island (Port Fairy)
Unnamed Road, Port Fairy VIC 3284, Australia

Griffiths Island (Port Fairy)

Direction

Lady Bay High

Lady Bay High

Lady Bay High
89 Merri St, Warrnambool VIC 3280, Australia

Lady Bay High

Direction

Lady Bay Low

Lady Bay Low

Lady Bay Low
80 Pertobe Rd, Warrnambool VIC 3280, Australia

Lady Bay Low

Direction

Cape Otway

Cape Otway

Cape Otway
1140 Lighthouse Rd, Cape Otway VIC 3233, Australia

Cape Otway

Direction

Keepers

We need your help in compiling a list of keepers for this lighthouse. If you have any information then send it to keeper@lighthouses.org.au.

Please include this lighthouse’s name, the keepers full name and what years they were keepers. Also include the same information for any other lights they were on.

Technical Details

First Exhibited
Permanent Tower
CurrentTower
Architect
Status
Location
Original Optic
Current Optic
Automated
Demanned
Construction
Height
Elevation
Range
Character
Intensity
Light Source
Power Source
Operator
Custodian
Notes

  NB: Information is historical data and is not for navigational purposes.

Access

The lighthouse reserve is now part of the Flagstaff Hill Maritime Museum. An entry fee is charged.

Site Access

The lighthouse grounds are open all year round.

Tours

Access to the lighthouse is available with admission to Flagstaff Hill Maritime Museum. External link

Accommodation

Lighthouse Lodge External link is available to stay. It is actually the original Warrnambool Harbour Masters house.

Museum

A maritime museum External link is on site.

Associated Lighthouse

Lady Bay (Low) Lighthouse  Internal Link