Lady Bay Low Lighthouse

The Lady Bay Low Lighthouse in the Flagstaff Maritime Museum at Warrnambool overlooks the bay from which it takes it name. It started life, one part as an obelisk, the other part as an earlier lighthouse.

History

The square tower was originally built in 1854 as one of two obelisks on Flagstaff Hill. The light was originally used in its predecessor, the Beach Lighthouse, built in 1859. This lighthouse was the leading lighthouse but was ineffective due to lack of elevation.

During 1871-72, the light was relocated to the top of the obelisk. At the same time the old Middle Island Lighthouse was relocated stone by stone to replace the other obelisk further up Flagstaff Hill to become the Lady Bay Upper Light.

The light was originally powered by oil, then gas and finally electricity. The Lower Lighthouse is still in use.

© All images are copyright of their respective photographers and are not to be used without permission.

Griffiths Island (Port Fairy)

Griffiths Island (Port Fairy)

Griffiths Island (Port Fairy)
Unnamed Road, Port Fairy VIC 3284, Australia

Griffiths Island (Port Fairy)

Direction

Lady Bay High

Lady Bay High

Lady Bay High
89 Merri St, Warrnambool VIC 3280, Australia

Lady Bay High

Direction

Lady Bay Low

Lady Bay Low

Lady Bay Low
80 Pertobe Rd, Warrnambool VIC 3280, Australia

Lady Bay Low

Direction

Cape Otway

Cape Otway

Cape Otway
1140 Lighthouse Rd, Cape Otway VIC 3233, Australia

Cape Otway

Direction

Keepers

We need your help in compiling a list of keepers for this lighthouse. If you have any information then send it to keeper@lighthouses.org.au.

Please include this lighthouse’s name, the keepers full name and what years they were keepers. Also include the same information for any other lights they were on.

Technical Details

First Exhibited
Permanent Tower
CurrentTower
Architect
Status
Location
Original Optic
Current Optic
Automated
Demanned
Construction
Height
Elevation
Range
Character
Intensity
Light Source
Power Source
Operator
Custodian
Notes

  NB: Information is historical data and is not for navigational purposes.

Access

The tower is not open to the public. The lighthouse grounds are open all year round. The lighthouse reserve is now part of the Flagstaff Hill Maritime Museum. An entry fee is charged.

Tours

No tours of the Low light are available.

Accommodation

Lighthouse Lodge External link is available to stay. It is actually the original Warrnambool Harbour Masters house.

Museum

A maritime museum External link is on site.

Associated Lighthouse

Lady Bay (High) Lighthouse  Internal Link