Split Point Lighthouse
The ‘White Queen’ as she is affectionately known is a welcome sight for ships that have rounded Cape Otway.
Overlooking Eagle Rock the lighthouse is not only a beacon to seafarers but also to travellers on the Great Ocean Road.
Originally called Eagles Nest Point, the lighthouse was built in 1891.
The cement rendered concrete tower has a Chance Brothers first order lantern and a 920mm focal radius lens.
The original light source was vapourised kerosene. When it was taken over by the Commonwealth Government in 1919 the light was converted to acetylene and automated. Conversion to mains electricity took place in 1972.
The nights tending lights were long and Gordon Reid tells of one keeper’s solution to the problem in his book, From Dusk Till Dawn.
“The keeper at Split Point at Airey’s Inlet in Victoria did not exactly sleep on the job but he did not see why he should be deprived of his social life at night. He scratched a small hole in the black paint on the back of the lantern, which prevents the light shining inland and annoying residents. This keeper, Richard Joy Baker, scratched the hole to line up with the Airey’s Inlet Hotel. Each time the lenses rotated, the light winked through the hole, assuring the keeper (who had retired to the hotel) that all was well.”
continued below …
© All images are copyright of their respective photographers and are not to be used without permission.
continued from above …
In March 2004, the two assistant keeper’s cottages were put up for auction. Much speculation and publicity surrounded the event, and there were hundreds of people at the auction on 6 March. The auction result was reported in local newspapers, The Geelong Advertiser and The Echo – the cottages were sold for an undisclosed figure over AU$1.5 million.
We need your help in compiling a list of keepers for this lighthouse. If you have any information then send it to email@example.com.
Please include this lighthouse’s name, the keepers full name and what years they were keepers. Also include the same information for any other lights they were on.
|Location||Lat: 38° 28.0840' S Long: 144° 06.2680' E|
|Current Optic||1st order fixed lens (original)|
|Construction||White concrete tower and lantern|
|Height||34 m 24.8 metres to base of lantern|
|Range||Nominal: White 20 NM Red 14 NM
Geographical: 21 NM
|Character||FL. W. (4) 20 s with red sector|
|Intensity||White: 93000 cd Red: 9300 cd|
|Light Source||Sealite SL-LED-324-W|
|Power Source||Mains supply|
NB: Information is historical data and is not for navigational purposes.
The lighthouse grounds are open all year round.
Split Point Lighthouse is managed by Eco Logic Education & Environmental Services.
Guided tours are available every weekend and during school holidays:
9am – 5pm in Summer
11am – 3pm in Winter
Tours can also be booked on weekdays with a minimum group size of 4.
Note: Children must be 5 years or over. Private access for weddings and functions is also available. Family and group discounts apply.
Tour bookings – Free call 1800 174 045 For more information, tour prices and on-line booking facilities visit: www.ecologic.net.au
No lighthouse accommodation is available