Babbage Island Lighthouse

The first Babbage Island lighthouse was a wooden tower 87 feet high from base to vane on a site 42 feet above sea level. It was a pyramidal tower similar in design to the Vasse lighthouse and second Gantheaume Point lighthouse. The fourth order Chance dioptric lens showed a light visible for 15 miles in good conditions. It was developed by the Northwest Branch of the Public Works Department, and the firm of WT Douglass, London, consulting engineer.

The light was first exhibited on 20 July 1897. The light showed a single flash every twenty seconds: a fifteen-second flash followed by an eclipse of five seconds. There was one white sector and two red sectors. Within two years the tower had been attacked by white ants and needed extensive repairs.

The lighthouse was a one-man station.

A fire in September 1908 caused significant damage to the lantern and apparatus. The lens sustained one small crack. The keeper, Robert Harkess, received burns to his face and arms when he tried to put the fire out. The occulting apparatus was damaged in the fire and from then on the lighthouse showed a fixed light.

The light was converted from paraffin (kerosene) oil to acetylene illumination in 1909.

A notice to mariners on 23 December 1920 stated that the fixed light at Babbage Island would become a flashing light (0.3 second flash and 2.7 second eclipse) in February the following year. The light was automated at that time and the keeper withdrawn.

In 1961 the WA government called for tenders for the supply and erection of a new galvanised tower and removal of the timber tower.

 

continued below …

© All images are copyright of their respective photographers and are not to be used without permission.

Title Address Description
Cape Leeuwin
Leeuwin Rd, Augusta WA 6290, AustraliaGo to Cape Leeuwin
Breaksea Island
Unnamed Road, Nanarup WA 6330, AustraliaGo to Breaksea Island
Cave Point
Unnamed Road, Torndirrup WA 6330, AustraliaGo to Cave Point
Eclipse Island
The Gap Rd, Torndirrup WA 6330, AustraliaGo to Eclipse Island
Cape Naturaliste
Bunker Bay Walk Trail, Naturaliste WA 6281, AustraliaGo to Cape Naturaliste
Casuarina Point
1 Bennett Way, Bunbury WA 6230, AustraliaGo to Casuarina Point
Arthur Head
15 Captains Ln, Fremantle WA 6160, AustraliaGo to Arthur Head
South Mole
1 Fleet St, Fremantle WA 6160, AustraliaGo to South Mole
North Mole
N Mole Dr, North Fremantle WA 6159, AustraliaNorth Mole
Woodman Point
597 Cockburn Rd, Munster WA 6166, AustraliaGo to Woodman Point
Wadjemup (Rottnest)
Wadjemup Rd, Rottnest Island WA 6161, AustraliaGo to Wadjemup (Rottnest)
Bathurst Point
Lancier St, Rottnest Island WA 6161, AustraliaGo to Bathurst Point
Guilderton
5 Tank Road, Guilderton WA 6041, AustraliaGo to Guilderton
Escape Island
Escape Island, Western Australia, AustraliaGo to Escape Island
Pelsaert Island
Houtman Abrolhos WA 6530, AustraliaGo to Pelsaert Island
Point Moore
481-485 Marine Terrace, West End WA 6530, AustraliaGo to Point Moore
Bluff Point
118A Kempton St, Bluff Point WA 6530, AustraliaGo to Bluff Point
Cape Inscription
Unnamed Road, Dirk Hartog Island WA 6537, AustraliaGo to Cape Inscription
Babbage Island
13 Annear Pl, Babbage Island WA 6701, AustraliaGo to Babbage Island
Point Quobba
Unnamed Road, Macleod WA 6701, AustraliaGo to Point Quobba
Point Cloates
Cardabia-Ningaloo Rd, Ningaloo WA 6701, AustraliaGo to Point Cloates
Vlaming Head
Yardie Creek Rd, North West Cape WA 6707, AustraliaGot to Vlaming Head
Jarman Island
Reader Head Rd, Cossack WA 6720, AustraliaGo to Jarman Island
Gantheaume Point
Lurujarri Walk, Minyirr WA 6725, AustraliaGo to Gantheaume Point
Cape Bossut
Cape Bossut, Lagrange WA 6725, AustraliaGo to Cape Bossut
Cape Leveque
Broome-Cape Leveque Rd, Dampier Peninsula WA 6725, AustraliaGo to Cape Leveque
Caffarelli Island
Caffarelli Island, Western Australia, AustraliaGo to Caffarelli Island

continued from above …

The base of the lantern below the glazing was retained and reused on the replacement lighthouse.

The area around the lighthouse is now a museum run by the Carnarvon Heritage Group. It includes the original timber and iron lightkeepers cottage. The glazing and dome from the 1897 lantern were put on display in the grounds. According to a guide at the museum, the Fresnel lens was sent to Perth when the first lighthouse was decommissioned but its location is unknown.

In 2020 the galvanised tower was removed and the lighthouse downgraded to a major light. The light is exhibited from a pole close to where the lighthouses once stood.

In 2023 the two parts of the lantern were reunited. By mid-2024 volunteers from the Carnarvon Heritage Group had stripped and repainted the lantern and replaced the broken glazing. An electric light in the lantern exhibits a flash every three seconds for interpretation purposes.

Sources

Keepers

Frederick George Banmann Edwards: June 1879 to March 1908

Robert Hall Harkess: 1908 to 1 April 1909

Edward Parker: 1 August 1909 to 1921

 

Technical Details

First Exhibited20 July 1897
Second Tower11 October 1961
Architect
StatusDecommissioned
LocationLat: 24 deg. 52 min. 21 sec. S.
Long: 113 deg. 38 min. 08 sec. E.
On the summit on the Western side of Babbage Island at the entrance to the Gascoyne River.
Original Optic4th order
Automated28 February 1921
DemannedFebruary 1921
Construction1st. Square wooden framework tower painted white
2nd. Steel framework tower
Height26.5 m
ElevationFocal plane: 101 ft. 6 inches above high water.
RangeW. 15 nm R. 9 nm
Character1st. Occ. W.R. lt. 15 sec. 5 s
2nd. Fixed W.R., September 1909
3rd. Changed to 0.3 sec. flash, 2.7 sec eclipse, February 1921
Intensity
Light Source
Power Source
Operator
Custodian
Notes

  NB: Information is historical data and is not for navigational purposes.

Access

Access during One Mile Jetty Precinct opening hours. 

Tours

The Carnarvon Heritage Group runs tours of the grounds and lightkeepers cottage museum.

Accommodation

No lighthouse accommodation is available

Museum

One Mile Jetty – Carnarvon

Links

Babbage Island lighthouse in Carnarvon – ABC 20 October 2015