Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse
On the most Southern Westerly tip of Australia, where the Indian and Southern Oceans meet, stands Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse as a solitary sentinel.
It was totally manually operated until 1982 by a clockwork mechanism and kero burner, one of the last in the world.
Completed in1896 and first lit on the 10th of December the tower and cottages are built of local limestone. The Cape Leeuwin Light was first mooted in 1881, but took 15 years to eventuate. Prolonged discussions were held to determine the best site for the lighthouse. Until the Kalgoorlie-Coolgardie gold rushes Western Australia was the poorest of the Australian States and with no assistance from the Eastern States it was unable to proceed with a project of this size. Further delays occurred while excavating the foundations of the light tower due to the depth required. The original 1895 plan included two lights. The present 39m white light tower and in front of it, a low red light tower. Although the foundations for this low tower were completed, the structure was never built because it was considered that a second light would cause confusion and draw ships closer to the Cape. The original 1st order bi-valve (two panel) lens remains in use today with the optic revolving on a mercury bath. Cape Leeuwin was the first lighthouse in Australia and one of the first in the world to use a Chance Bros mercury pedestal. This enabled the lens at Cape Leeuwin to revolve every 10 seconds, a massive improvement in the roller bearing pedestals in use at that time. The original light source was a six wick kerosene lamp producing a light intensity of 250,000 candelas, visible for 40km. In 1925, the light was upgraded to vapourised kerosene giving a light intensity of 780,000 candelas. The light was manually operated using vaporised keroscene until 1982 when it was converted to electricity replacing the clockwork mechanism and kero burner. The new 1,000 watt halogen lamp increased the light output to 1,000,000 candelas. This light was automated in September 1992.
continued below …
© All images are copyright of their respective photographers and are not to be used without permission.
|Cape Leeuwin, Western Australia, Australia||Go to Cape Leeuwin|
|Unnamed Road, Nanarup WA 6330, Australia||Go to Breaksea Island|
|Unnamed Road, Torndirrup WA 6330, Australia||Go to Cave Point|
|The Gap Rd, Torndirrup WA 6330, Australia||Go to Eclipse Island|
|Bunker Bay Walk Trail, Naturaliste WA 6281, Australia||Go to Cape Naturaliste|
|1 Bennett Way, Bunbury WA 6230, Australia||Go to Casuarina Point|
|15 Captains Ln, Fremantle WA 6160, Australia||Go to Arthur Head|
|1 Fleet St, Fremantle WA 6160, Australia||Go to South Mole|
|N Mole Dr, North Fremantle WA 6159, Australia||North Mole|
|597 Cockburn Rd, Munster WA 6166, Australia||Go to Woodman Point|
|Wadjemup Rd, Rottnest Island WA 6161, Australia||Go to Wadjemup (Rottnest)|
|Lancier St, Rottnest Island WA 6161, Australia||Go to Bathurst Point|
|5 Tank Road, Guilderton WA 6041, Australia||Go to Guilderton|
|Escape Island, Western Australia, Australia||Go to Escape Island|
|Houtman Abrolhos WA 6530, Australia||Go to Pelsaert Island|
|481-485 Marine Terrace, West End WA 6530, Australia||Go to Point Moore|
|118A Kempton St, Bluff Point WA 6530, Australia||Go to Bluff Point|
|Unnamed Road, Dirk Hartog Island WA 6537, Australia||Go to Cape Inscription|
|13 Annear Pl, Babbage Island WA 6701, Australia||Go to Babbage Island|
|Unnamed Road, Macleod WA 6701, Australia||Go to Point Quobba|
|Cardabia-Ningaloo Rd, Ningaloo WA 6701, Australia||Go to Point Cloates|
|Yardie Creek Rd, North West Cape WA 6707, Australia||Got to Vlaming Head|
|Reader Head Rd, Cossack WA 6720, Australia||Go to Jarman Island|
|Lurujarri Walk, Minyirr WA 6725, Australia||Go to Gantheaume Point|
|Cape Bossut, Lagrange WA 6725, Australia||Go to Cape Bossut|
|Broome-Cape Leveque Rd, Dampier Peninsula WA 6725, Australia||Go to Cape Leveque|
|Caffarelli Island, Western Australia, Australia||Go to Caffarelli Island|
continued from above …
Almost as famous as the lighthouse is the waterwheel and wooden flume constructed nearby to bring fresh spring water to the lighthouse. It has been calcified by the minerals and salts reminiscent of a limestone area known for its huge caves.
In 1955 an NDB radio beacon was installed as part of a network of Non directional radio beacons used at that time to assist vessels with navigation.
The lighthouse was converted to a Sealite LED array in 2018.
We need your help in compiling a list of keepers for this lighthouse. If you have any information then send it to email@example.com.
Please include this lighthouse’s name, the keepers full name and what years they were keepers. Also include the same information for any other lights they were on.
|Location||Lat: 34° 22.4900’ S Long: 115° 08.1800’ E|
|Current Optic||Chance Bros. 920 mm focal radius|
|Construction||White round masonary tower with white Chance Bros. 12'0''dia. lantern with curved glazings|
|Range||Nominal: 26 nm Geographical: 20 nm|
|Character||Fl. W. 7.5 secs|
|Light Source||Sealite SL-324 LED array|
|Power Source||240V AC|
|Notes||As at Sept 2018|
The tower is not open to the public.
The lighthouse grounds are open all year round.
No tours are available.
No lighthouse accommodation is available
Detail to come.
There is no Friends Group
Detail to come.
Detail to come.
- Detail to come