Casuarina Point Lighthouse
The first Bunbury lighthouse, a 3 m wooden tower, was built on Marlston Hill about 365 m east northeast of the present lighthouse. It was replaced in 1901 by a temporary skeletal tower, and then in 1903 by a 9 m cast iron tower with the 1879 Chance Bros fixed 4th order lantern from the second built (1879) Arthur’s Head lighthouse at Fremantle. In 1959 the cast iron tower was raised in height by 6 m because of the building of bulk fuel tank installations, the largest being 22 m in diameter and 20 m high that obscured the visibility of the light. An extract from the South Western Times, January 21, 1960 describes the event. “To make it more visible, the cone containing the light mechanism was lifted by the largest crane in the state and three cylinders-each about 2 m high- were added to the tower before the cone was replaced. The work was completed in 10 days and cost 8000 pounds.”
The 1879 lantern and the added section were incorporated into the present light when it was built in 1970. Only the upper (glazing/dome) section of the lantern was reused and remains in use today. A key player in the decision to move the lighthouse was then Harbour Master/ Pilot, Captain Robert Allsop. Captain Allsop noticed that although the light was visible at night, during the day when approaching from a certain angle the lighthouse was obscured by a large tank. During these times there were no satellite navigation systems; all navigation was done using maps, sextons and line of sight. Allsop also suggested the black and white chequered pattern that is on the current lighthouse after checking lighthouse lists to confirm that the pattern was unique. When asked why black and white, Allsop responded, ‘They were his two favourite colours because he liked Black and White Whisky and black and white Scotch Terriers.
continued below …
© All images are copyright of their respective photographers and are not to be used without permission.
|Leeuwin Rd, Augusta WA 6290, Australia||Go to Cape Leeuwin|
|Unnamed Road, Nanarup WA 6330, Australia||Go to Breaksea Island|
|Unnamed Road, Torndirrup WA 6330, Australia||Go to Cave Point|
|The Gap Rd, Torndirrup WA 6330, Australia||Go to Eclipse Island|
|Bunker Bay Walk Trail, Naturaliste WA 6281, Australia||Go to Cape Naturaliste|
|1 Bennett Way, Bunbury WA 6230, Australia||Go to Casuarina Point|
|15 Captains Ln, Fremantle WA 6160, Australia||Go to Arthur Head|
|1 Fleet St, Fremantle WA 6160, Australia||Go to South Mole|
|N Mole Dr, North Fremantle WA 6159, Australia||North Mole|
|597 Cockburn Rd, Munster WA 6166, Australia||Go to Woodman Point|
|Wadjemup Rd, Rottnest Island WA 6161, Australia||Go to Wadjemup (Rottnest)|
|Lancier St, Rottnest Island WA 6161, Australia||Go to Bathurst Point|
|5 Tank Road, Guilderton WA 6041, Australia||Go to Guilderton|
|Escape Island, Western Australia, Australia||Go to Escape Island|
|Houtman Abrolhos WA 6530, Australia||Go to Pelsaert Island|
|481-485 Marine Terrace, West End WA 6530, Australia||Go to Point Moore|
|118A Kempton St, Bluff Point WA 6530, Australia||Go to Bluff Point|
|Unnamed Road, Dirk Hartog Island WA 6537, Australia||Go to Cape Inscription|
|13 Annear Pl, Babbage Island WA 6701, Australia||Go to Babbage Island|
|Unnamed Road, Macleod WA 6701, Australia||Go to Point Quobba|
|Cardabia-Ningaloo Rd, Ningaloo WA 6701, Australia||Go to Point Cloates|
|Yardie Creek Rd, North West Cape WA 6707, Australia||Got to Vlaming Head|
|Reader Head Rd, Cossack WA 6720, Australia||Go to Jarman Island|
|Lurujarri Walk, Minyirr WA 6725, Australia||Go to Gantheaume Point|
|Cape Bossut, Lagrange WA 6725, Australia||Go to Cape Bossut|
|Broome-Cape Leveque Rd, Dampier Peninsula WA 6725, Australia||Go to Cape Leveque|
|Caffarelli Island, Western Australia, Australia||Go to Caffarelli Island|
.continued from above …
The rest of the 1903 lighthouse was demolished, and there is now a modern lookout tower on top of the hill. In 2004 a proposal to install mobile phone antennas on the lighthouse drew protests from residents and the city council and the proposal did not proceed.
The earliest known keeper was John Sinclair who arrived in Fremantle on the ‘Dolphin’, a Barque carrying 14 passengers, on the 18th of January 1860 and later came to Bunbury. In 1901 Captain John George Abrahamson is listed as the Harbour-master to the Port of Bunbury. Mr. Ramage was listed as the keeper in 1909. George Ramage was also a lighthouse keeper on Rottnest Island. Charles ‘Mac’ McCarthy served in Western Australia’s Harbour and Lights Department for 44 years. In 1934 McCarthy was transferred from Albany to Bunbury to act as the Coxswain on the pilot boat ‘The Petrel’. One of his main duties was to climb Lighthouse Hill each morning and evening to light and extinguish the light. In later years the light was connected to electricity and he had the comfort of doing the chore from his house. He was also responsible for signalling with the flagstaff that a vessel was in sight. McCarthy lived with his family in Brewery Lane.
We need your help in compiling a list of keepers for this lighthouse. If you have any information then send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include this lighthouse’s name, the keepers full name and what years they were keepers. Also include the same information for any other lights they were on.
|Original Optic||Chance Bros 250mm fixed.|
|Construction||Current tower 1970|
|Character||Grp. Fl. White (3) 15 secs.|
|Power Source||Mains power|
|Custodian||Southern Ports- Bunbury|
The tower is not open to the public.
The lighthouse can be accessed from Bennett Way.
No tours are available of the lighthouse but an excellent vantage point is afforded by the nearby Marlston Hill lookout tower.
No lighthouse accommodation is available but the Quality Lighthouse Hotel is located opposite the lighthouse.
Detail to come.
There is no Friends Group
Detail to come.
Detail to come.
- Nicole Azzalini Bunbury Municipal Council
- Southern Ports-Bunbury