Sugarloaf Point Lighthouse
This lighthouse is significant because it is the first major lighthouse by James Barnet.
It is also significant as it is only one of two towers in Australia with an external stairway.
The Sugarloaf Lighthouse was completed in 1875, ten years after it was first recommended a light be placed to highlight the nearby Seal Rocks. It was originally intended to place the light on Seal Rocks but landing was difficult the proposition was abandoned.
The tower is constructed of brick, rendered and painted white. Also constructed were three adjoining cottages, various outbuildings, the construction of the road from Bungwahl, and a 1500 foot long jetty which was used to land some 1800 tons of building supplies and materials..
continued below …
© All images are copyright of their respective photographers and are not to be used without permission.
continued from above …
The light was upgraded in 1923 and it would be assumed converted from kerosene to acetylene gas. Electricity was introduced in 1966 and the light was kept manned for many years despite automation in 1987.
Even today there is a caretaker on site.
One of Australia’s biggest shipping disasters occurred of Sugarloaf Point;- the wreck of the Catterthun in 1895 when bound from Sydney to China with the loss of fifty five lives.
We need your help in compiling a list of keepers for this lighthouse. If you have any information then send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include this lighthouse’s name, the keepers full name and what years they were keepers. Also include the same information for any other lights they were on.
|First Exhibited||1 December 1875
|Location||Lat. 32°26'27.08"S Long. 152°32'20.35"E|
|Original Optic||In use|
|Current Optic||Main: Chance 920mm 16 sided catadioptric
Aux: Chance fixed 250mm catadioptric
|Construction||Cement rendered masonry|
|Height||15 m 6.5 m to balcony|
|Elevation||Main: 79 m
Aux: 75 m
|Range||Main: 26 NM
Aux: 13 NM
|Character||Main: Fl. W. 7.5 secs
Aux: Fixed red 307-010° over Seal Rocks
|Intensity||Main: 1,274,000 cd
Aux: 22,836 cd
|Light Source||Main: Sealite SL324 LED array
Aux: 12 volt 100 watt
|Power Source||Mains Power battery backed|
|Operator||Australian Maritime Safety Authority|
|Custodian||Australian Maritime Safety Authority|
|Notes||Converted to electricity 14 June 1966
Aux light changed from green to red 6 Dec 1984
NB: Information is historical data and is not for navigational purposes.
The lighthouse grounds are open all year. The tower is closed to the public.
The Sugarloaf Point Lighthouse precinct offers 3 self-contained heritage cottages nestled on the hill below the lightstation. Built in 1875, they offer newly restored and beautifully appointed old world charm with modern conveniences including … flat screen TV, DVD, electric heating and wireless internet.
All cottages are fully equipped for self-catering and are prepared with bed and bath linen for your stay. Each cottage has an abundance of outdoor space with private BBQ facilities.
Sugarloaf Point Lighthouse Accommodation
Address: Kinka Road, Seal Rocks NSW 2423
PO Box: 11, Pacific Palms NSW 2428
Phone: +61 2 4997 6590
Fax: +61 2 4997 6419
- Annette Flotwell for PhotographsIan Clifford for Photographs
- Winsome Bonham for Photographs
- AMSA Brochure
- Brian Lord
- Ian Clifford
- Mark Sheriff
- Snow Gums to Sand, Web Spun by Midac
- The Sydney Morning Herald