Bustard Head Lighthouse
Cape Moreton lighthouse commenced operation in 1857. The new colony of Queensland separated from New South Wales in 1859 and in 1868 Bustard Head was established in the new colony.
Bustard Head was named by Captain James Cook in 1770, in honour of a bustard which was shot and eaten by the landing party. Along with Sandy Cape Lighthouse it is made using prefabricated segments of cast iron bolted together.
In 1932 the original cottages were destroyed in fire and in 1935 the outside stairs were relocated inside the tower. The lighthouse was automated and de-manned in 1986 and left to the elements.
In 2001 the Bustard Head Lighthouse Association, a volunteer organisation led by Stuart Buchanan obtained a lease and restored the site.
© All images are copyright of their respective photographers and are not to be used without permission.
We need your help in compiling a list of keepers for this lighthouse. If you have any information then send it to email@example.com.
Please include this lighthouse’s name, the keepers full name and what years they were keepers. Also include the same information for any other lights they were on.
|Location||Lat: 24° 01.3393'S Long: 151° 45.8472'E|
|Current Optic||Optic upgrade 2007|
|Construction||White round cast iron segmental tower, Chance 9'6" Dia. lantern and red dome|
|Range||Nom: 19 nm Geo: 25 nm|
|Character||Fl. W. (2) every 10 secs|
|Light Source||12V 100W C8 Halogen|
|Power Source||240 V AC mains|
|Notes||As at Sept 2014|
NB: Information is historical data and is not for navigational purposes.
The lighthouse grounds are open all year round accessible only by boat (or LARC).
LARC tours from the nearby town of 1770 have a day tour to the lightstation and offers access to the tour.
No lighthouse accommodation is available
One of the keepers cottages and the powerhouse are open as a museum.
Bustard Head Lighthouse Association
PO Box 90
Samford QLD 4520
Phone: (07) 3289 1827
- Bustard Head Lightstation 1934 Australian Geographic June 29 2015
- Bustard Head Tower and Museum 1770 LARC Tours
- Bustard Head Lighthouse 1898 State Library of Queensland
- Bustard Head Lighthouse (2006) Queensland Heritage Register