Cape Banks Lighthouse

The lighthouse was established in 1883. The original structure was 7.5 metres in height and was made from local limestone. The lantern was used from the old MacDonnell Lighthouse (demolished in 1882) at Cape Northumberland.

The original character was alternating revolving, showing one red and two white faces. The illuminant was vaporized kerosene with an incandescent mantle. 3 groups (3 lamps in each group) 2 white and 1 red.

In May 1928, it was raised to 15 metres. With this upgrade upgrade the light was demanned and the keeper’s cottages have since been demolished.

Until 1976 the light was run on a Dalen Acetylene Gas system which mixed the gas with air and also rotated a lens. It was then converted to electric in using the lens from St Francis Island.

© All images are copyright of their respective photographers and are not to be used without permission.

Title Address Description
Cape Martin
Foster St, Beachport SA 5280, Australia

Cape Martin

Penguin Island
Scenic Dr, Beachport SA 5280, Australia

Penguin Island

Cape Banks
Carpenter Rocks SA 5291, Australia

Cape Banks

Cape Northumberland Ruins
2 Cape Northumberland Rd, Port Macdonnell SA 5291, Australia

Cape Northumberland Ruins

Cape Northumberland
174 Lighthouse Rd, Port Macdonnell SA 5291, Australia

Cape Northumberland


We need your help in compiling a list of keepers for this lighthouse. If you have any information then send it to

Please include this lighthouse’s name, the keepers full name and what years they were keepers. Also include the same information for any other lights they were on.

Technical Details

First Exhibited1882
LocationLat: 37° 53.8830' S Long: 140° 22.6020' E
Original Optic
Current OpticVRB-25 3 rpm
ConstructionOrange round stone tower and white lantern
Height14 m 9.5 metres to base of lantern
Elevation25 m
RangeNominal: 18 nm Geographical: 15 nm
CharacterFl. W. (2) 10 s
Intensity56,400 cd
Light Source12V, 100W, C8 H2
Power Source240V AC mains
NotesUpgraded 20/2/2003
Lantern: Deville and Co. 10' dia
As at 2016

  NB: Information is historical data and is not for navigational purposes.


The lighthouse reserve is accessible to the public. The road is a sealed bitumen to Carpenter Rocks, then unsealed for the last several kilometres to the lighthouse. There are no tours.

Site Access

The lighthouse grounds are open all year round.


No tours are available.


No lighthouse accommodation is available

Associated Lighthouse

Cape Northumberland  Internal Link