The Robe Lighthouse was built as an automated unmanned light to replace the Cape Jaffa Lighthouse. Up to this time Robe did not have a lighthouse but with the decommissioning of the Cape Jaffa lighthouse the need for a light at Robe was deemed necessary.
The Robe Lighthouse is a star-shaped concrete tower which was built in 1972. It is 3.5 metres wide at the bottom, and slants towards 5 metres wide at the top.
It was built to replace the Cape Jaffa Lighthouse on Margaret Brock Reef which was decommissioned and reassembled at Kingston where it remains on display in operational condition. The current optic is a Chance Bros 4th order circa 1935 rotating lens relocated from Gabo Island which had in turn replaced the original fixed optic at Gabo which was replaced as part of the electrification in 1935.
In the early days of settlement, Robe was the main port for the south-east of South Australia and the border country.
Until the establishment of this light, the only navigational aid into Robe was an obelisk.
© All images are copyright of their respective photographers and are not to be used without permission.
Cape Jaffa Platform
Cape Jaffa (Kingston)
|33 Marine Parade, Kingston SE SA 5275, Australia|
|Obelisk Rd, Robe SA 5276, Australia|
|6 Adam Lindsay Gordon Dr, Robe SA 5276, Australia|
|Foster St, Beachport SA 5280, Australia|
|Scenic Dr, Beachport SA 5280, Australia|
|Location||Latitude: 37° 09.8620' S
Longitude: 139° 44.6650' E
|Current Optic||3 flash panel 250mm f.r. (ex-Gabo Is lens)|
|Demanned||Built as an unmanned light|
|Construction||White tri-star concrete tower with NAL 1|
|Height||19 m, 15.5 metres to base of lantern|
|Range||Nominal: Main: 22 nm De-intensified sector: 16 nm
Geographical: 21 nm
|Character||Fl. W. (3) in 10 secs|
|Intensity||Main: 213,000 cd
De-intensified sector: 21,700 cd
|Light Source||Sealite SL324 LED array|
|Power Source||240 Volts Mains|
|Notes||As at Nov 2016|
NB: Information is historical data and is not for navigational purposes.
The lighthouse is on the western edge of the Robe township and is easily accessible by road. The lighthouse grounds are fenced but the nearby foreshore has a number of good vantage points to view the light .
No tours are available.