West Channel Pile Light
The pile light replaced an earlier lightship that was installed in 1854 to mark the north-east end of the West Sand. It re-used the original lantern and upper tower of 1854 but relocated these to the present site.
The West Channel Pile Light was built in 1881 to a design by the Public Works Department. The building contractor was Robert Thornton. It is constructed of red gum with a concrete platform. When the pile light was moved to a new substructure (sometime before the early 1980s) the superstructure was damaged, and most of the verandah and balustrade was lost. The walkway is also missing.
The West Channel Pile Light was installed to aid navigation along the West Channel through Port Phillip Bay, and formed a leading line along the West Channel. The South and the West Channels were the two major shipping channels for all vessels entering Port Phillip Bay on their way to Melbourne. The light continues to be used today.
The pile light was constructed with a substructure or framework of timber piles. Above this is a new concrete platform. Mounted on the platform is a two-storey octagonal timber structure that houses the light-keepers quarters and the lantern. This is accessed via an open Newell stair. The living quarters included a fireplace (no longer extant) and chimney. The light was manned until the interwar period when gas lamps were introduced.
© All images are copyright of their respective photographers and are not to be used without permission.
continued from above …
We need your help in compiling a list of keepers for this lighthouse. If you have any information then send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include this lighthouse’s name, the keepers full name and what years they were keepers. Also include the same information for any other lights they were on.
NB: Information is historical data and is not for navigational purposes.
The tower is not open to the public.
No tours are available.
No lighthouse accommodation is available