Crowdy Head Lighthouse
The Crowdy Head Lighthouse was built in 1878 with a fixed catadioptric light of less than 1,000 candelas.
A pilot station was established in 1860 at nearby Harrington to assist ships navigating the entrance of the Manning River with cargoes of timber, livestock and limestone.
In 1878, a fixed catadioptric light of less than 1,000 candelas was erected on Crowdy Head.
It was the last of a series of small lighthouses designed by James Barnet, the others being Fingal Head, Richmond River, Clarence River and Tacking Point.
The Crowdy Head tower was made of stone and painted white. The original light was a fixed white light of fourth order catadioptric type. It was originally manned by one lightkeeper.
In 1928 the apparatus was converted to automatic acetylene operation providing 1500 candelas and the keepers withdrawn. The light was finally converted to mains electricity in June 1972.
The demise of the shipping industry saw the closure of the pilot station in the 1960s.
continued below …
© All images are copyright of their respective photographers and are not to be used without permission.
continued from above …
We need your help in compiling a list of keepers for this lighthouse. If you have any information then send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include this lighthouse’s name, the keepers full name and what years they were keepers. Also include the same information for any other lights they were on.
|Location||Lat. 31°50'36.45"S Long. 152°45'12.50"E|
|Original Optic||Chance Bros 4th Order fixed|
|Current Optic||Vega FA-251|
|Character||Grp Fl. (2) 10 secs|
|Intensity||White 28,000 cd, Red 7,000 cd|
|Light Source||12 Volt 75 Watt Quartz Halogen Lamp|
|Power Source||Mains Electricity|
|Operator||NSW Roads & Maritime|
|Custodian||Crown Lands NSW|
NB: Information is historical data and is not for navigational purposes.
The site is open 24 hrs, but there is no access to the tower.
- Crowdy Head – Roxford Bree
- Brian Lord for Photographs
- Ian Clifford for Photographs
- Dept of Transport
- From Dusk Till Dawn by Gordon Reid
- Mary Shelley Clark and Jack Clark
- Sydney AFLOAT