Cape Forestier (Lemon Rock) Lighthouse

One of the very first lights built by the fledgling Commonwealth Lighthouse Service after it came into being in 1915 was erected in Tasmania on precipitous Lemon Rock, off Cape Forestier. The Lemon Rock light was one of only a few lights which were just a lantern, without the usual lighthouse tower.


In a letter to the Consolidated Light Board of Tasmania in April 1907, Captain J.L.B. Hunter, Master of the S.S. Durham, said that there were not sufficient lights on the East Coast of Tasmania. In his opinion, he said, “there should be a light in the vicinity of Cape Forestier, as it would be a great boon to vessels coming from Tasmania.” In fact, a light at this location had been one of the recommendations by Commander C.R.W. Brewis, R.N., in his Preliminary Report on the Lighting of the Coast of Tasmania and the Islands in Bass Strait to the Commonwealth Government in April 1912. At that time, he said that the ratio of lights per coastal mileage was one light to each 62.5 miles, whereas he recommended this be increased to one light for each 47.6 miles.

It was not until May 1914 that provision was made for lighthouse works for the financial year 1914-15.  Lemon Rock, the site of the light at Cape Forestier, is a very small granite islet, about 80 metres high, connected to Cape Forestier by rocks which are submerged at high tide. Although never surveyed, the rock is about 1 acre in size, steep-sided and roughly dome-shaped. Vegetation is sparse, being confined to low costal scrub on the more sheltered ledges.

There was a lot of confusion over the light’s actual name. Located on top of Lemon Rock, the light was officially known as the Cape Forestier light but was known, locally, as ‘The Lemons’ while the Cape is variously spelt Forestier, Forester or Forrestier.

continued below …

© All images are copyright of their respective photographers and are not to be used without permission.

Title Address Description
Blinking Billy
Blinking Billy Point Reserve, 652 Sandy Bay Rd, Sandy Bay TAS 7005, AustraliaBlinking Billy
John Garrow Shoal
Blinking Billy Point Reserve, 652 Sandy Bay Rd, Sandy Bay TAS 7005, AustraliaJohn Garrow Shoal
Derwent Lighthouse Iron Pot
Iron Pot, Tasmania, AustraliaDerwent Lighthouse Iron Pot
Tasman Island
Tasman Island, Tasmania, AustraliaTasman Island
Cape Bruny
Cape Bruny Lighthouse Tours, Lighthouse Rd, South Bruny TAS 7150, AustraliaCape Bruny
Maatsuyker Island
Unnamed Road, Tasmania, AustraliaMaatsuyker Island
Cape Sorell
Unnamed Road, Macquarie Heads TAS 7468, AustraliaCape Sorell
Entrance Island
Unnamed Road, Macquarie Heads TAS 7468, AustraliaEntrance Island
Bonnet Island
Macquarie Harbour,, TAS, AustraliaBonnet Island
Bluff Hill Point
Bluff Hill Rd, Marrawah TAS 7330, AustraliaBluff Hill Point
West Point
Unnamed Road, Marrawah TAS 7330, AustraliaWest Point
Sandy Cape
Unnamed Road, West Coast TAS 7321, AustraliaSandy Cape
Stokes Point
Unnamed Road, Surprise Bay TAS 7256, AustraliaStokes Point
Currie Harbour
LOT 1 Lighthouse St, Currie TAS 7256, AustraliaCurrie Harbour
Cape Wickham
687 Cape Wickham Rd, Wickham TAS 7256, AustraliaCape Wickham
Councillor Island
Councillor Island, Tasmania, AustraliaCouncillor Island
Highfield Point
Unnamed Road, Stanley TAS 7331, AustraliaHighfield Point
Highfield Point Old
Marine Park, 14 Wharf Rd, Stanley TAS 7331, AustraliaHighfield Point Old
Rocky Cape
Rocky Cape Rd, Rocky Cape TAS 7321, AustraliaRocky Cape
Table Cape
Lighthouse Rd, Table Cape TAS 7325, AustraliaTable Cape
Round Hill Point
Chasm Creek Lighthouse, 1A Bass Hwy, Chasm Creek TAS 7321, AustraliaRound Hill Point
Mersey Bluff
39 Bluff Access Rd, Devonport TAS 7310, AustraliaMersey Bluff
Devonport Leading Lights
6 Victoria Parade, Devonport TAS 7310, AustraliaDevonport Leading Lights
Devonport Leading Lights
26 Best St, Devonport TAS 7310, AustraliaDevonport Leading Lights
Low Head
496 Low Head Rd, Low Head TAS 7253, AustraliaLow Head
Middle Channel (Tamar Rear Leading Light)
180 Low Head Rd, Low Head TAS 7253, AustraliaMiddle Channel (Tamar Rear Leading Light)
Sheoak Point (Tamar Front Leading Light)
199 Low Head Rd, Low Head TAS 7253, AustraliaSheoak Point (Tamar Front Leading Light)
Swan Island
Unnamed Road, Tasmania, AustraliaSwan Island
Goose Island
Flinders, TAS, AustraliaGoose Island
Eddystone Point
Eddystone Light Station, 2986 Eddystone Point Rd, Eddystone TAS 7264, AustraliaEddystone Point
Deal Island
Unnamed Road, Tasmania 7255, AustraliaDeal Island
South East Point (Wilsons Promontory)
Wilsons Promontory, VIC 3960, AustraliaSouth East Point (Wilsons Promontory)
Cape Tourville
Cape Tourville Rd, Coles Bay TAS 7215, AustraliaCape Tourville
Cape Forestier (Lemon Rock)
Freycinet National Park, Coles Bay Rd, Coles Bay TAS 7215, AustraliaCape Forestier (Lemon Rock)
Point Home
Unnamed Road, Triabunna TAS 7190, AustraliaPoint Home
continued from above …

Access to the rock was extremely weather dependent with a ladder up the near vertical face of the rock. Supplies such as acetylene gas cylinders were hauled to the top by a flying-fox system.

When first lit on Friday 5 October, 1917, the Group Flashing white light with a Red sector was powered by a bank of 28 acetylene gas cylinders, the white light visible for 20 miles and red, 10 miles.

Because of the extreme difficulty of access, the light was discontinued in May 1971. The Lemon Rock lantern, manufactured by Chance Brothers of Birmingham, England was dismantled and put in storage at the Tasmanian Maritime Museum in 2012 but was returned to AMSA the same year. It is now with the Queensland Maritime Museum in Brisbane which hopes to eventually put it on display.

A replacement lighthouse was built at Cape Tourville, just north of Lemon Rock.


This light was never manned.

Technical Details

First Exhibited5 October 1917
Permanent Tower7'1" dia. Chance Bros lantern, no tower
StatusNo longer in situ
LocationLat. 42° 11'S, Long. 148° 230'E
Original Optic400 mm Focal Radius AGA lens
AutomatedBuilt as an automated light
Height4 m
Elevation81 m
RangeW. Nom: 13 NM Geo: 23 NM
CharacterGrp Fl. (4) W.R. every 20 secs
IntensityW. 4500 candela R. 1100 candela
Power SourceAcetylene 23 A50 plus 26 spare changed annually
Current when discontinued3 May 1971
  NB: Information is historical data and is not for navigational purposes.


The lighthouse is no longer in this location.

Associated Lighthouse

Cape Tourville Lighthouse


Text with thanks from Erika Shankley
Lemon Rock- Cape Forestier – Cape Tourville.
Download PDF Download the PDF for the full story.