Stay informed about the maritime heritage of the lighthouses of Australia and the people who served on them. Help spread the word further.
Be aware of current developments and issues relating to the protection of our lighthouses and their associated buildings.
Support or contribute to our collection of oral and written maritime history for inclusion in the Lighthouses of Australia Archive.
Website Updates and News
- December 18 Updated images for Barranjoey Head Lighthouse
- December 17 Updated images for Nelson Head Inner Lighthouse
- December 15 Updated Vaucluse Leading Lights, Grotto Point and Parriwi Lights
- November 2 Updated images and added a video on Norah Head Lighthouse
- October 21 Updated Warden Head Lighthouse page and added some images
- October 20 Updated Wardang Is page and added some images and technical details
- October 11 2018 Added new book, Maatsuyker through our eyes – Caretaking on Tasmania’s wild and remote Maatsuyker Island by Paul Richardson and Amanda Walker
The Friends of Maatsuyker Island, Wildcare Inc. (FOMI) run occasional boat trips to Maatsuyker Island to provide support to the Tasmania Parks & Wildlife Service (PWS) Volunteer Caretakers and the island operations. Boat landings are only planned for late...read more
Refurbished historic lighthouse keepers' cottages on the NSW mid-north coast have re-opened for short-stay accommodation, offering a unique holiday experience at the Sugarloaf Point Lighthouse at Seal Rocks. National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS) Area Manager,...read more
This Saturday the 3rd of November, Lighthouses of Australia will relight the Historic light at Green Cape on behalf of NSW National Parks & Wildlife Service in conjunction with the Eden Whale Festival. The 1st of November 2018 marks 135 years since the light was...read more
Warden Head Makeover Congratulations to the dedicated staff of the NSW Dept of Industry and their contractor KGB Protective Coatings from Gateshead NSW for the excellent execution of the Warden Head Lighthouse restoration project. The lighthouse will soon be back in...read more
Caretaking on Tasmania's wild and remote Maatsuyker Island When accepted by the Tasmania Parks and Wildlife Service volunteer program as caretakers for Maatsuyker Island, Paul Richardson and Amanda Walker were well aware they had chosen to live in isolation in one of...read more
The flags spell out "Cleaning Prisms Today" and on October 5 2018 it was an exciting day for the volunteer custodians of Cape Jaffa lighthouse. The 1st order lens that had not been cleaned for over 10 years was receiving some tender loving care. In its working life,...read more