Bathurst Point Lighthouse
The Bathurst Lighthouse forms the subsidiary light to the Main Rottnest Island Light, enabling vessels entering and leaving the Port of Fremantle to safely navigate the reefs around the island.
Built from local limestone in 1900, the tower is painted white with a gold lantern dome.
The Bathurst Lighthouse was built as a result of shipwrecks culminating in the the “City of York” disaster in 1899.
The light was one of four erected between 1910 and 1912 leading up to the Commonwealth takeover of coastal lights in 1915.
The tower is on the north east cape of Rottnest Island. It is the subsidiary light to the Main Rottnest Island Lighthouse in the centre of the island. This meant that vessels, travelling to and from the Port of Fremantle, could safely navigate around the reefs using triangulation.
The light was erected close the the original Pilot Station which was known to have been established by 1866.
The lamphouse and light mechanism was the one originally intended for use as the lower light at Cape Leeuwin but never used.
The original fixed acetylene open flame light source was replaced in 1920 by an acetylene flasher and the light was then demanned.
In 1986 the light was converted to electric operation.
The keepers cottage was sold to the Rottnest Island Board and is at present occupied by Board employees.
continued below …
© All images are copyright of their respective photographers and are not to be used without permission.
|Leeuwin Rd, Augusta WA 6290, Australia||Go to Cape Leeuwin|
|Unnamed Road, Nanarup WA 6330, Australia||Go to Breaksea Island|
|Unnamed Road, Torndirrup WA 6330, Australia||Go to Cave Point|
|The Gap Rd, Torndirrup WA 6330, Australia||Go to Eclipse Island|
|Bunker Bay Walk Trail, Naturaliste WA 6281, Australia||Go to Cape Naturaliste|
|1 Bennett Way, Bunbury WA 6230, Australia||Go to Casuarina Point|
|15 Captains Ln, Fremantle WA 6160, Australia||Go to Arthur Head|
|1 Fleet St, Fremantle WA 6160, Australia||Go to South Mole|
|N Mole Dr, North Fremantle WA 6159, Australia||North Mole|
|597 Cockburn Rd, Munster WA 6166, Australia||Go to Woodman Point|
|Wadjemup Rd, Rottnest Island WA 6161, Australia||Go to Wadjemup (Rottnest)|
|Lancier St, Rottnest Island WA 6161, Australia||Go to Bathurst Point|
|5 Tank Road, Guilderton WA 6041, Australia||Go to Guilderton|
|Escape Island, Western Australia, Australia||Go to Escape Island|
|Houtman Abrolhos WA 6530, Australia||Go to Pelsaert Island|
|481-485 Marine Terrace, West End WA 6530, Australia||Go to Point Moore|
|118A Kempton St, Bluff Point WA 6530, Australia||Go to Bluff Point|
|Unnamed Road, Dirk Hartog Island WA 6537, Australia||Go to Cape Inscription|
|13 Annear Pl, Babbage Island WA 6701, Australia||Go to Babbage Island|
|Unnamed Road, Macleod WA 6701, Australia||Go to Point Quobba|
|Cardabia-Ningaloo Rd, Ningaloo WA 6701, Australia||Go to Point Cloates|
|Yardie Creek Rd, North West Cape WA 6707, Australia||Got to Vlaming Head|
|Reader Head Rd, Cossack WA 6720, Australia||Go to Jarman Island|
|Lurujarri Walk, Minyirr WA 6725, Australia||Go to Gantheaume Point|
|Cape Bossut, Lagrange WA 6725, Australia||Go to Cape Bossut|
|Broome-Cape Leveque Rd, Dampier Peninsula WA 6725, Australia||Go to Cape Leveque|
|Caffarelli Island, Western Australia, Australia||Go to Caffarelli Island|
continued from above …
George W Waters, Lightkeeper, April 1900 to 30 June 1915 (retired), Sven Peter Anderson, Assistant Lightkeeper (in charge), Late 1915 – July 1919, Ernest Murray McDonald, Assistant Lightkeeper (acting in charge), July 1919 – Oct 1920. Demanned on or about 15 Oct 1920
|First Exhibited||1 September 1900|
|Location||31° 59.4´ S 115° 32.4´ E|
|Optic||Chance Bros 2nd order Fixed|
|Construction||Grey stone tower, gold cupola|
|Character||Fl.(4)W. every 16 secs|
Rottnest Island can be reached by ferry from Perth. The lighthouse is within easy walking or cycling distance. There are regular formal tours conducted by the Rottnest Island.
The lighthouse grounds are open all year round.
No tours are available.
Accommodation is available in the original keepers cottage.