South Mole Lighthouse



The South and North moles were built by Western Australia’s legendary chief engineer CY O’Connor as part of the Fremantle harbour works, which began in 1893. Two cast iron pre-fabricated lighthouse towers and all associated equipment were ordered from Chance Brothers, one lighthouse for the end of each mole. Around 1898 a 24ft high steel skeleton frame was built on South Mole from which a fifth order red occulting light was shown.

By July 1903 the cast iron tower had replaced the temporary skeletal tower and a white occulting light was shown for the first time on the 20th of that month. The lighthouse had been supplied with a fourth order optic, at the request of the harbour master at the time. It was immediately realised that the light was too powerful and might be confused with the white sector of the Woodman Point light. It was quickly changed to a fixed green light. In 1947 it was changed to a green flash every second, and from 2018 a very quick green flash.

When erected, the tower was painted French grey with a white lantern and remained in this colour scheme for many decades. At some time after World War II the tower was painted green and has been various shades of green ever since. A security fence was erected around the lighthouse after 2013. In 1942 Fremantle harbour was closed and it became the largest submarine base in the southern hemisphere; 170 British, American and Dutch submarines were based there at different times throughout the rest of the war. In 1943 the lanterns were removed from the two mole lighthouses so that observation posts and anti-submarine guns could be placed on top. The lanterns were placed on wooden structures. The lantern of the South Mole lighthouse was reinstated in November 1946; North Mole lighthouse at a later date.

continued below …

© All images are copyright of their respective photographers and are not to be used without permission.

Title Address Description
Cape Leeuwin
Leeuwin Rd, Augusta WA 6290, AustraliaGo to Cape Leeuwin
Breaksea Island
Unnamed Road, Nanarup WA 6330, AustraliaGo to Breaksea Island
Cave Point
Unnamed Road, Torndirrup WA 6330, AustraliaGo to Cave Point
Eclipse Island
The Gap Rd, Torndirrup WA 6330, AustraliaGo to Eclipse Island
Cape Naturaliste
Bunker Bay Walk Trail, Naturaliste WA 6281, AustraliaGo to Cape Naturaliste
Casuarina Point
1 Bennett Way, Bunbury WA 6230, AustraliaGo to Casuarina Point
Arthur Head
15 Captains Ln, Fremantle WA 6160, AustraliaGo to Arthur Head
South Mole
1 Fleet St, Fremantle WA 6160, AustraliaGo to South Mole
North Mole
N Mole Dr, North Fremantle WA 6159, AustraliaNorth Mole
Woodman Point
597 Cockburn Rd, Munster WA 6166, AustraliaGo to Woodman Point
Wadjemup (Rottnest)
Wadjemup Rd, Rottnest Island WA 6161, AustraliaGo to Wadjemup (Rottnest)
Bathurst Point
Lancier St, Rottnest Island WA 6161, AustraliaGo to Bathurst Point
5 Tank Road, Guilderton WA 6041, AustraliaGo to Guilderton
Escape Island
Escape Island, Western Australia, AustraliaGo to Escape Island
Pelsaert Island
Houtman Abrolhos WA 6530, AustraliaGo to Pelsaert Island
Point Moore
481-485 Marine Terrace, West End WA 6530, AustraliaGo to Point Moore
Bluff Point
118A Kempton St, Bluff Point WA 6530, AustraliaGo to Bluff Point
Cape Inscription
Unnamed Road, Dirk Hartog Island WA 6537, AustraliaGo to Cape Inscription
Babbage Island
13 Annear Pl, Babbage Island WA 6701, AustraliaGo to Babbage Island
Point Quobba
Unnamed Road, Macleod WA 6701, AustraliaGo to Point Quobba
Point Cloates
Cardabia-Ningaloo Rd, Ningaloo WA 6701, AustraliaGo to Point Cloates
Vlaming Head
Yardie Creek Rd, North West Cape WA 6707, AustraliaGot to Vlaming Head
Jarman Island
Reader Head Rd, Cossack WA 6720, AustraliaGo to Jarman Island
Gantheaume Point
Lurujarri Walk, Minyirr WA 6725, AustraliaGo to Gantheaume Point
Cape Bossut
Cape Bossut, Lagrange WA 6725, AustraliaGo to Cape Bossut
Cape Leveque
Broome-Cape Leveque Rd, Dampier Peninsula WA 6725, AustraliaGo to Cape Leveque
Caffarelli Island
Caffarelli Island, Western Australia, AustraliaGo to Caffarelli Island

continued from above …


We need your help in compiling a list of keepers for this lighthouse. If you have any information then send it to

Please include this lighthouse’s name, the keepers full name and what years they were keepers. Also include the same information for any other lights they were on.

Technical Details

First Exhibited1893
Permanent Tower1898 Steel skeleton frame 24 ft high
CurrentTower20 July 1903
Location32° 03.4´ S 115° 44.0´ E
Original Optic4th order
Current Optic
ConstructionChance Bros. Cast Iron Tower painted French Grey in colour with White Top. Later painted green
Height9 m
Elevation15 m
Range6 nm
Character1903: Fixed Green
1947: Fl. Green every second
Current 2018: V.Q.G.
Light Source
Power Source
NotesOn the first night of lighting it was found that the White Occulting light was too powerful and that being a White Occulting Light it may be confused by Mariners with the White Sector of Woodman’s Point Lighthouse – The light was discontinued temporarily and changed to Fixed Green
  NB: Information is historical data and is not for navigational purposes.


The tower is not open to the public.

Site Access

The lighthouse is accessible via Fleet Street.


No tours are available.


No lighthouse accommodation is available.


Detail to come.

Friends Group

There is no Friends Group

Associated Lighthouse

North Mole.


Detail to come.


  • Julie Taylor